Total Pageviews

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

It is a rainy day here in Quito.

     Weather is Quito is 54 degrees and a slight drizzle.
Most days in Quito are in the 50 to 56 degree range.

It seems that if it rains, it happens after 4:00pm. Today is an exception. It was drizzling when I left for work at 6:45 am. It is 11:30am now and it is still drizzling. It averages 3 or 4 days a week with some rain. Not anything like the amount of rain we receive in my town of Eugene, OR. however.


I feel relieved to be done with teaching this year. As I told my sister on Skype today, I am looking forward to a few weeks where I do not constantly have to be figuring things out.

i.e. How to tell the taxi driver where I want to go and to say it with a voice and accent that they can understand. I usually begin the conversation with "No hablo Espanol." This means I do not speak English.

My driver this morning took a wrong turn because he thought I said a different street. I said no, no, no and got him turned around and pulled over to the side of the road. I then showed him the business card for the Inlinqua Language School and he understood completely where to go. 6 weeks I have been here. I will not go out without the business card of the address I need after my experience today.

After the first of the year, I plan to take Spanish lessons at Inlingua for $3.00 / hr. Special rate for teachers. I get paid $7.38 an hour to teach. I spend about $3.00 to $6.00 a day in cab fair for my 2 and 1/2 hours of teaching each day. Bottom line....The last two weeks, I have spent more than I made. I calculated that the last two weeks I have spent about $100 more a week than I have made. January is a new year and I will make some contacts to get more work, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment